Sunday 1 September 2013

Buttermilk Pie

Good Morning All! What a lovely, raining first day of September! Today, I bring to you one more scrumptious sweet treat before I return home to New Brunswick and all that it entails. {School, work, 2AM study nights and so on} Therefore, with just a few sweet days of “summer break” left, I decided to spend some time in the kitchen for one last relaxing baking escapade.

This week’s recipe is a gem I unearthed thanks to one of the charming ladies I have had the pleasure of spending the past few months with at my summer employment. This summer was new for me. I spent my days {and nights… long, awake nights, to be clear} working in a Senior’s Care home here in Pictou County. I am typically a nanny and student in New Brunswick so, this was both different and not. Anyhow, back to the point of this long-winded story, I found myself discussing favourite food and recipes with one of my residents. She mentioned how much she love, love, LOVED something called Buttermilk Pie. She was kind enough to dig through her closet for the recipe so I could copy it and enjoy at our home! I have to admit, I have been blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful people here in Pictou County this summer!

Ever heard of Buttermilk Pie? Myself, not so much. This was the first time I ever heard of such a thing, so I looked it up. Apparently, it originated in the UK and is now well known in the south, particularly Texas. But enough about that, let’s get down to it.

Here is goes:

In a bowl (I used a KitchenAid Mixer) mix together:
  • 3 Lg. Eggs 
  • ½ Cup Melted Butter 
  • 2 Cups Sugar 
  • 2 Tbsp. Flour 
  • 1 Tsp. Vanilla 
  • 1 Tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice 
  • ¾ Cup Buttermilk 
Pour the mixture into an UNBAKED piecrust. *I used Tenderflake frozen pie crusts. Yum. And easy. **Makes two pies. Few, tenderflake comes in a two pack!

Bake at 375º for 50-60 minutes.


Optional: Finely chop ½ Cup walnuts and sprinkle on top of pie. I did not do this – nuts are ew. {Read “ew” in Jimmy Fallon’s Sara voice}

***Please see video below to completely understand ew. And for a laugh!



Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS