Sunday 2 June 2013

Carrot Cake Recipe

Todays recipe is an oldie but a goodie. Dug out of my own personal recipe box {which is actually shown here in my pantry makeover}.

I've been craving cake as of late. In a mean sort way! Like sending Robert to the store late at night kind of way. And he goes because he loves me. Not because I am pregnant - for those of you thinking it. Or maybe he does it because I get cranky without delicious baked goods...either way. So instead of spending a small fortune on more store bought goodies I thought Id whip something up myself. *And Common-Law went back to work early this time round so Id have to go get it myself which quite honestly takes some of the joy out of it.

So who wants Carrot Cake?

Oh! Oh! Pick me! Pick me!


It is one of my favourites {after Red Velvet and Peanut Butter a-la Mrs. Vicki Lee}! The recipe is fool proof. The ingredients basic. And it is easy to adjust to your families tastes. Three things I love to hear when it comes to anything in the kitchen.

You will need the following:
    Cake
  • 4 Eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup Vegetale Oil
  • 2 cups White Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla
  • 2 cups Flour
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
  • 3 cups Grated Carrots
  • Icing
  • 1/2 cup Softened Butter
  • 4 cups Icing Sugar
  • 8 ounces Softened Cream Cheese
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. Go ahead and set the pan aside.

In a large bowl beat together the eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Then go ahead and mix in the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, powder, salt, and cinnamon.


Then it is time for the grated carrots. We use a grater with smaller than average holes so that the carrot slivers are not as thick in the cake once baked. Picky eater alert! But the recipe is just as successful with regular sized grating. Either way go ahead and stir the grated carrot on in. Gosh that was a lot of grates. Grate, grate, gratety, grate!

*At this point you could certainly add any nuts or additional spices that you may prefer. It should not alter the outcome of your recipe as long as you add quantities within reason.


Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes. Or until a toothpick comes out clean. Every oven is different. I let mine cool for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Then allow to cool completely on a wire rack before icing.


For the icing, mix all the ingredients together: butter, icing sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla. *I add my icing sugar last, a little at a time. This way I can manage the level of sweetness by testing along the way. You may not need the full 4 cups depending on your preference.

A light all-over coat of icing will help keep the crumbs from spreading into all your icing. Then go ahead and decorate as you please.


If everyone isnt on board with nuts in the batter themselves they can be added as a topper with the icing. Even keep it out as a garnish on a piece by piece basis.


Now all that is left is to enjoy a deliciously moist slice with hot beverage. Leave the kitchen for later. It will still be there when you are done!

Enjoy and we'll chat soon.


4 comments:

  1. Definitely a yummy carrot cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm, where did all the cake go?! I definitely want a peice! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison,
    the cake was delish! We all enjoyed it very much - Rowan especially! I will be back for this recipe for sure. Thanks again for sharing both the cake and the recipe. Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you liked it Angie! It is a straight forward recipe that gets them every time!
    Jackie, I will make another soon and share it with your household. Deal?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS