Sunday 21 July 2013

'C' is for Cookie...

...that is good enough for me. OOOHHH Cookie Cookie Cookie starts with C!  Num num num num num!!


Nobody says it better than Cookie Monster, after all, he IS the COOKIE Monster. He knows what he is talking about. The Cookie Monster and I are very much on the same page when it comes to cookies. So, you can imagine my dismay at the thought of no more cookies now that I am a gluten-free vegan. However, as I scrolled down the pages of my Facebook newsfeed one afternoon, I happened upon a gluten-free, animal by-product free cookie! What is this? Could it be? Yes. It can.

As it so happens, I have adopted the role of Recipe Writer here at the MacDonald residence and a wild craving for sweets that I can have guilt free. I whipped up a batch and put them to the test.

Here is what you are going to need:

  • 1 ¼ Cups of Canned Chickpeas 
  • 2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract 
  • ½ Cup + 2 Tbsp. Natural Peanut Butter (I used Natur brand Creamy Peanut Butter. It is gluten-free, as your peanut butter should be, because your only ingredient should be peanuts! Be sure to check labels, though. You never know where they will sneak some gluten in!) 
  • ¼ Cup Honey (To be truly Canadian, I used Maple Syrup tapped by my very own multi-talented Father & his best friend) 
  • 1 Tsp. Baking Powder 
  • Pinch of Salt (Assuming your Natural PB does not have salt) 
  • ½ Cup of Vegan Chocolate Chips or Carob Chips (I used Enjoy Life brand Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – they are guaranteed gluten-free AND vegan and are still tasty! Can life get any better?) 

Now, don’t be alarmed. I realize this recipe has chickpeas. This is what I love about this recipe, you wouldn’t even know it has chickpeas. And for the bonus round, chickpeas are protein. This is a healthy cookie! Again, I realize I am being a bit liberal with the word healthy, but it certainly beats something you may find browsing Paula or Martha’s site. Just sayin’.

Back to the cookie:

  1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. 
  2. Throw your chickpeas (rinsed and patted dry) into the food processor (in our case the blender) and blend until smooth. In my 540mL can of chickpeas, it was only slightly more than 1 ¼ cups, so I used the whole can.
  3. Blend in the rest of the ingredients (except the choc. Chips) in the food processor OR mix in a bowl, until well blended. 
  4. Stir in chocolate chips. 
  5. Form small balls (1 ½ “) and place on parchment paper on your baking sheet. They don’t need to be too far apart because they won’t rise much, if at all. Also, it definitely helps to wet your hand as you do this to avoid the cookie “dough” from sticking to your hands. I appreciated this handy tip. 
  6. Squash balls with a fork to desired thickness. 
  7. Bake for 10-15 minutes.  
  8. Enjoy with some tasty, cold Almond Milk. Yummmm. 

Not only did these moist, doughy cookies satisfy MY sweet tooth, but they were also found guilty of deliciousness by the true judge - Honourable Judge Finley.


We hope you have the opportunity to give these cookies a try!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS